As always, take it for what it’s worth, but Air Force released a depth chart for the first time this season, and it lists five starting spots as being up for grabs. Here it is, with the starter listed and the backup in parentheses:
QB: Connor Dietz (Kale Pearson OR Tucker Tipton)
RB: Wes Cobb OR Cody Getz OR Jon Lee
FB: Mike DeWitt (Broam Hart)
WR: Ty MacArthur (Colton Huntsman)
WR: Chris Jordan (Dontae Strickland)
TE: Austin Briehl (Marcus Hendricks)
LT: Jason Kons (Evan Kaufman)
LG: Drew Kerber (David Lore)
C: Michael Husar (Austin Hayes)
RG: Jordan Eason (Moshood Adeniji)
RT: Alex Huskisson (Jerry Henry)
DE: Joseph Champaign (Riley Cannon)
NG: Cody Miller OR Nick DeJulio
DE: Nick Fitzgerald OR Alexander Hansen
OLB: Alex Means (Miles Fisher)
ILB: Austin Niklas (Connor Healy)
ILB: Josh Kusan (James Chambers)
OLB: Jared Jones OR Steven Sumpter
CB: Chris Miller (Gavin McHenry)
SS: Brian Lindsay
FS: Christian Spears OR Anthony LaCoste
CB: Steffon Batts (Gavin McHenry)
K: Parker Herrington FG/PAT (Briceton Cannada kickoffs)
P: David Baska (Zach Hoffmann
LS: Harrison Elliott (Kevin Carrington)
Holder: Tucker Tipton (David Baska)
PR: Cody Getz (Ty MacArthur)
KOR: Anthony LaCoste OR Ty MacArthur
- Alexander Hansen would be just the second freshman since 1981, joining Alex Means, to start on Air Force’s defense in the season opener if he wins the job.
- This is a young team. Of the 44 players listed on the offense or defense two deep, only 18 are seniors.
- The roster doesn’t reflect every player in the program. There were seven freshmen listed on this year’s opening day roster, compared to just two last year. The freshmen listed on the varsity roster are: defensive back Dexter Walker, linebacker Connor Healy, quarterback Dano Graves, cornerback Gavin McHenry, linebacker Reggie Barnes, tight end Garrett Griffin and Hansen.
- That Graves was listed on the roster and fellow freshman quarterback Jaleel Awini wasn’t shows that Graves is ahead on the program’s depth chart. Awini lined up a little bit at receiver on Monday in practice but Calhoun said Awini is still a quarterback for the long haul.
- Players like receiver Drew Coleman and outside linebacker Stephan Atrice aren’t listed on the depth chart because they missed most of camp with injuries. They could move up the depth chart quickly now that they’re back.